The Yukon Registered Nurses Association administers funding provided by the Yukon Department of Health & Social Services for the purpose of supporting ongoing education for Yukon registered nurses. These education funds consist of an annual grant from the Yukon Government to enable eligible Yukon registered nurses to complete education programs including local and distance courses and conferences; short term or long term programs; and group education sessions which will benefit Yukon RNs. This funding is also available to Yukon nurses who have been out of the nursing workforce and require a re-entry program or refresher course to be able to return to nursing. An Education Fund Management Committee has been authorized by YRNA to oversee the distribution of these government funds.
In June 2013, the Education Fund Management Committee has reviewed and revised the guidelines that govern disbursement of the CNEF funding provided for continuing nurse education. Last year’s changes remain for 2014:
- applications for less than $200 total expenditure will not be considered
- group funding projects will be required to submit a list of RN participants with receipts when claiming reimbursement funds
New funding guidelines as per committee decision in 2014 include:
- 80% reimbursement for eligible expenses to a maximum of $2000 per application.
- In general, applicants will be limited to one (1) open file at any time. In the case of applicants enrolled in long term programs, a second application related to the program may be submitted for review while one file is still in process.
- Screening criteria (residency; previous funding; timeline, etc.) will be applied as necessary depending on the demand at each review session.
The committee hopes that the revised guidelines will ensure fair distribution of funds to applicants and still conserve money for use throughout the fiscal year. To view and/or print the new Fund Information & Criteria sheet click here.
Next Application Timeline
Timelines for the fiscal year are: May 31st, August 31st, November 30th and February 28th. The Education Fund Management Committee endeavors to meet within two weeks following each timeline and funding decisions will be communicated to applicants as soon as possible following those meetings.
Guidelines & Criteria
Continuing Nurse Education Fund (CNEF)
Among initiatives eligible for support are local or distance education programs, relevant conferences, long term educational endeavours, and support for instructors or speakers expected to benefit a group of nurses.
Registered Nurse Refresher Fund
This fund is intended to support re-entry into the Yukon workforce for applicants who have been out of nursing for more than five years, or who for another reason need to renew knowledge and skills prior to entry into an area of acute care nursing.
Application & Reporting Forms
Please submit the appropriate forms and documentation to the YRNA office. Call if you have any questions. Application timelines for the calendar year are February 28th, May 31st, August 31st, and November 30th.
- Ed Fund Application Form
- Education Fund Application for Group Project
- Expense Reporting Form for Education Funds
- Refresher Application
Note: the Expense Reporting Form for Education Funds has been developed for applicants to summarize receipts for reimbursement. Receipts must be submitted with this form within the 3 months (90 days) following completion of the approved course/program. Failure to submit receipts within this timeline may result in forfeiture of funding. Documentation proving successful completion of the educational endeavour must be submitted with receipts.